woensdag 26 februari 2014

The Ultimate Oatmeal Chocolate Cookie (with blueberries)

I love oatmeal cookies, but the amount of sugar and fat make me gain weight just by thinking about it. In the last year I made two oatmeal cookies my own, a healthy one and a 'try-it-before-you-diet' one! Both great but the healthy one always made me crave for the other one.

Last week I was visiting a friend, she baked these thick lovely heavy cookies. After eating one it felt like I ate a whole roll of cookies. I loved it! With the taste and satisfied belly sensation I went out looking. After downloading a new App on my phone I found it, the Ultimate Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookie. It ticked all the boxed, vegan -tick-, oatmeal -tick-, raisins. There was the problem, I don't like raisins. So as always, I tweaked the recipe to my liking!


The Ultimate Oatmeal Chocolate Cookie (with blueberries)
source Note: The original recipe is Vegan, but I really like honey. I'll give you some vegan options too. Makes around 16 large cookies.

3/4 cup of walnuts
3/4 cup of hazelnuts
3/4 cup of almonds
2 cups of rolled oats
3/4 cup of spelt flour
4 tablespoons of coconut blossom sugar
optinal: 4 tabelspoons of brown cane sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3-4 tablespoons of honey
or for the vegan option: maple syrup or something of that kind
2 tablespoons of milk substitute, I use almond or coconut milk.
3 1/2 tablespoons of coconut oil
2/3 cup of dark chocolate
optinal: substitute half the chocolate with blueberries.


Preheat oven to 350F/180C and line a baking sheet. Place the nuts on the baking sheet. Toast in oven for about 10-12 minutes, until golden in colour. Watch carefully so as not to burn. When toasted remove from oven and cool for a few minutes. Shake off the skins of the hazelnuts (if there are any). Chop the nuts, using a knife or a food processor. I like chunks of nut in my cookies, so I keep them pretty rough. But you can also ground them pretty fine.

Mix together the flour, baking soda, 1 cup oats, cinnamon, and sugar(s). Mix in with the nuts, using a spoon or still using your food processor. In a small bowl add the coconut oil and microwave for 20 seconds to soften (if necessary). In the same bowl, stir in the honey/maple syrup, and milk substitute,  pour into food mixture until thoroughly combined. Mix in the remaining 1 cup of oats by stirring or with hands. Fold in the chocolate (and blueberries). Take about 2 tbsp of dough, make a ball, and then flatten with fingers. Place on cookie sheet. Repeat.

Bake for 10 minutes and no longer. Remove from oven and let sit on baking sheet for 2 minutes before placing onto a cooling rack for 10-15 minutes. When cooled down, the cookies will crisp up a little more and become even more yummy! Enjoy!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten