woensdag 9 april 2014

Rhubarb Strawberry Confiture

After last weeks rhubarb pie I was totally in the rhubarb zone. So without thinking I bought more rhubarb, I thought that I could use my free weekend to bake something delicious. But of course, my free weekend turned into this huge social feast, so no time for baking and the rhubarb ended up in the back of the fridge.

Storm was coming, monday night. Great time to stay inside and get busy around the kitchen. My beautiful rhubarb was starting to turn bad, time to make something. I wasn't in a baking mood, didn't wanted to make rhubarb lemonade again, so time for something new! Last summer I visited a friend in France. I always buy BonneMaman confitures over there, to bring home for my grandparents. Last summer I bought a rhubarb one for myself, within days after opening the jar I emptied it out. My next visit to France is still unclear, but my craving was still growing. Time to make my own!


Rhubarb Strawberry Confiture
source
500-750 grams of rhubarb
500 grams of strawberries
50 ml of orange juice
500 grams of confiture sugar
4-6 jars
2 tablespoons of cleaning soda
note: For a confiture you need a 2kg of fruit to 1 kg of sugar ratio. This differs from jam, what is more of a 1kg of fruit to 1 kg of sugar.

To keep and store the confiture for a longer time you need clean, very clean jars to pour the confiture in. You can clean jars and lids by boiling them in water with the cleaning soda for around 10-15 minutes. Afterwards rinse well with hot water and wipe clean. Put the jars heads down on a tablecloth until filling. 

Clean the strawberries and rhubarb. Cut the rhubarb in pieces around 1 cm, put in a big saucepan with the orange juice and let it simmer for 10 minutes, lid on top. Cut the strawberries into small pieces and add these with the sugar to the rhubarb. Mix well until the sugar is dissolved. Bring it back to a boil, let it cook for 3 minutes.

Pour the confiture into the jars, lid and turn upside down. Turn around after 5 minutes, if necessary clean outside of the jars. Let it cool down and store in a dark cool place. Enjoy with toast or in your yogurt.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten