vrijdag 25 oktober 2013

Going bananas for oatmeal cookies

I don't really have a sweet tooth but once in a while I will go crazy for cookies and chocolate. A few months ago I started to see if I could bake more consciously. Less sugar, less fat, but still all the yummy goodness. I found a great website (chocolatecoveredkatie.com) where you can find all the lovely 'healthy' desserts and treats you want!


Ever since I visited my family in Callie in the summer of 2012 I'm hooked on oatmeal cookies. But I never had the guts to try it myself. I remember the sweet sugary tasty delights I ate during my months in CA. After browsing for good recipes and a sugar level I was ok with I made the first batch. Tweaking and trying the recipes till it became just what I wanted:

Oatmeal cookies going bananas
1 cup of rolled oats
2 bananas
1/2 cup of solid coconut oil
a pinch of salt
2 tablespoons of grated coconut
2/3 cup of chopped pure dark chocolate
2/3 cup of chopped up dried fruits, like cranberries, pineapple, mango, dates
2/3 cup of chopped nuts, like walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans

Heat the oven to 180 °C/ 350 °F. Grease a baking sheet or cover with baking paper.
Mash together the bananas and coconut oil, then add all the other ingredients and mix till well combined. Now you can roll into little balls and push down on the baking sheet, the thinner you make them, the crunchier they get! Or you can smear the whole 'batter' on the sheet and after baking cutting it into bite size pieces or bars.
Bake for around 15-20 minutes, until the top gets golden brown. Let it cool for 10 minutes before removing from the sheet. If you want the bottom to also be crispy you can bake the cookies a second time, upside down for 10 minutes. Keep a close eye, they can now burn easily.


Note: The cookies will always stay a little chewy and moist, because of the banana.
And you can always adjust the measurements of the add-ons, so if you don't like nuts you can use more chocolate. If you want more sugar add some, but mostly, enjoy!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten