vrijdag 1 november 2013

The way of the Dragon Fruit

I was always curious about this fruit. I've been seeing them for years, but never had my hands on one. In my summer in California I found them in my uncle's garden. In his poor English he explained about the fruit. How easy it was to grow, this cactus, but to let it bear fruits, was a whole different story. His garden had over 5 of this plants, now all fruit bearing, but it took him a few years. Although the many fruits on the plants, I never ate one. Every time I visited my uncle, there were no ripe ones. And buying them in the markets felt strange, seeing all the fruits in my uncle's garden.

left: Dragon fruit along side pomegranate in Hawaii Market near my grandma's house in Rosemead
right: Dragon fruits growing in my uncle's garden in El Monte

Uncle told me that this cactus, just like many other cacti, will bloom at night. Just for a few hours. I remembered the flower, we had a plant when I was little. My dad would wake my brother and me and take pictures of us along the night flower. The last time I saw a flower blooming is over a decade ago. But the story that always comes to me, is the time my dad woke us, put my brother next to the flower and took a picture. My brother, tired as he was, cried out load. Such a contrast, a beautiful delicate flower next to a screaming and crying little boy. 


I love tropical fruits. After stuffing myself with the tropical delights in California, where they are easy to get. I was disappointing in Holland, where these fruits are less common and mostly overripe and expensive. In Chongqing I was back in heaven, the Chinese markets, streets and stores were filled with all tropical fruits I was craving. After weeks of eating fresh jujube, manderins, pineapple, longan and watermelon, but never the dragon fruit. 

The first time I tasted it was on a Chinese birthday cake, I was intrigued with the flavor. So I gave it a go and bought one. In the weeks after I was buying it more often and often, until I would eat one a day. Half for breakfast, the other half at night. I went so crazy for the fruit, that I even started to bring them to parties and dinners. 


The flavor reminded me of a kiwi, but then fresher and milder. The sourness is not as sharp as in a kiwi, making it easy to eat. Although the meat of the dragon fruit is firm, it's rather juicy. Stilling your thirst. The skin of the fruit is deeppink with green tips, on the inside it's filled with a white meat with black pearshaped little seeds. 

In my last days in China I met up with my cousin and her husband in Beijing. There I came along the red version of the meat. It's just like the white one, pink on the outside, but deep deep red pink on the inside. Beautiful to see, but I found the taste less complex. Doubting if it was just food coloring...
 up: Tropical fruitplatter of pineapple and dragonfruit, for a balcony party in Foreign Expert Building of CTBU
down: Drawings of fruit impressions. Both in Chongqing

So now and then I find the dragon fruit in Holland, the fruits always look beaten and are on the point off decay. Once in a while, I find one or two that are edible. Like a few days ago, at my local greengrocer, he had a few boxes filled with the beautiful deep pink-skinned delights. They are not as sweet and fresh as the ones I had in China, but it gives you the idea of the flavor. Bringing back memories from my time in California and China. 

Yesterday night I shared the fruit with my friends and family. Giving them their first taste of this beautiful fruit. Sharing my memories and stories. So if you never tried the fruit and come along one, buy, cut and enjoy! 

3 opmerkingen:

  1. Hey Mai, Great blog!

    I'm very curious to taste this fruit :) I live in holland too, so can you give some tips on how to tell if it is good to eat or to old?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Hee Sandy,
    Yesterday I found some at a Turkish market. But sadly they weren't all that. You should look for firm fruits with there pink skins intact. When you pick it up, it should feel heavy and firm. When it feels mushy, it's probably mushy on the inside. You can always ask to cut one open to see the inside. The inside should be white, when it is glassy or has glassy spots its already decaying. Good luck and enjoy!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Thank you for the reply Mai, It's a big help. I will keep an eye out for them!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen