maandag 9 december 2013

Baked Catfish

Yesterday we had baked catfish for lunch and dinner! Last year when I visited my family, my friend Emy and I were treated to this feast. While Emy and I rolled eggrolls, my cousin baked fish and prepared all the sides. Because it was summer, we cleared out the front yard and had ourselves a nice front yard dinner.


My cousin's husband is a fishing fanatic! So last year our catfish meal was triggered by his large catch of catfish. I remember, walking to the bathroom and seeing the mother-in-law rubbing a fish. I got intrigued and stayed in the kitchen for over an hour. In her best Chinglish she explained what she was doing.

Apparently the catfish is a very interesting fish. It has no scales but a this slimy skin. It looks more like a mammal then a fish, it is very meaty and less bones then a normal fish. The mother-in-law showed me how to clean the fish. By putting it in hot boiling water, the slimy skin will be easier to clean. Rubbing it down with a scourer until the skin goes from dark to white. Then chopping off the fins and whiskers. Getting rid of the guts inside and as a final blow, off with his head!

 
top 4 picture: Last years catfish catch. Cleaning catfish in the kitchen, West Covina, July 2012
down: Four of the eight catfish from the Asian market, cleaned and all, West Covina, December 2013

December is already here and with that the cold is coming in. So this time no yard, just a cozy inside meal. Apparently for baked catfish, you need fresh catfish. All the frozen self caught catfish in the garage where out of bounce. My cousin and I had a early morning, went to the Asian market and bought 8(!) life catfish. Again I went through the whole cleaning process.

At home, we quickly started prepping for lunch. Cutting veggies, picking mints, chopping peanuts, setting up the table. With the fishheads my cousin made a sweet and sour soup.

Sweet and Sour soup, on top the bowl, below the preps

Baked catfish itself is not so much work. But all the sides make it very time consuming. It is just like Banh Trang or springrolls. Eating baked catfish is just like Banh Trang. The table is filled with food. Steaming bowls of water and rice paper. Wrap, roll and dip!


Mouthwatering? Well Catfish is not easy to come by in Holland, definitely fresh ones. But now worries, it looks a lot like Banh Trang with a big fish! So If you want to eat something similar, with meats or vegetarian or vegan, with all the sides, check out my DIY Springroll-rollfeast chapter! Enjoy!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten