maandag 16 december 2013

人人乐 Market

Asian Market is Asian Market, where ever I am they will always look the same. The only difference; outside China, the signs have English (or Dutch, or French, Korean, etc etc) translation. I've been to many Asian markets in my life. Holland, France, America and China, almost everywhere I stay for a longer time I end up in a Asian Market. I always wonder around, be amazed with all the products, produce and other nicknacks. Take my time to find familiar things and be astonished by new things. Reading labels, finding out that every sauce in the Chinese kitchen is made from soybeans. That curry pastes are not always vegetarian. That the Asian taste is enhanced with E-numbers and MSG.


For many years my family and I go to this big warehouse on a industrial site. There is a huge (for Dutch scale) Asian Market/Warehouse 'Tai Pan'. As a child (and even now) I spend most of my time there along the freezers. They leave all the crazy goodies there. Frog legs, durian, all kinds of frozen fish and seafood, ducks. I can still wonder along the freezer and the aisles. 

人人乐 (ren ren le) was my daily supermarket I went to in China.
Ren Ren Le or translated Everyone Happy (translated word by word meaning people people happy). And I guess everybody was happy with this supermarket. They will catering to all your needs. Close by the university campus, great hours, with a fresh produce dept, fish, meat, deli, bakery, toiletries, kitchenware, clothes, you name it! They had a crazy candy department. With flavors I never imagined, durian, jackfruit, red date and more craziness. Like dried meats and tofu and seasoned spicy chicken feet!


But most of my wondering along Asian market aisles happens in LA. From Delmar market, to Hawaii market, Korean markets, Hong Kong Plaza, and many, many many more! Duck tongs, intestines and organs, turtles, seaweeds, fishheads, octopus and roots I never saw before and all kinds of kitchenware and utensils. 

Made you curious? Look up your local Asian Market and take some time to take a look! If you're an Asian food lover, these markets would definitely make 人人乐 (everybody happy, pinyin: ren ren le)

up: I found this picture in the stacks and boxes of pictures we have. My dad is an amateur photographer, always taking pictures, analog and digital. So I guess this is one of his pictures.
Asian market around Rosemead, LA County, Januari 1990
middle: Emy and I in the Korean supermarket, astonished by it's products and seafood department.
Greenlang, Rowland Haight, California, June 2012
down: Fresh food department of the Ren Ren Le, Na'nan District, Chongqing, Februari 2013

Here are some of my favorite Asian Markets:
Tai Pan Oriental Foods
Laagraven 2B
3439 LG Nieuwegein
THE NETHERLANDS

Toko Tjiau Jiang
Croeselaan 199-203
3521 BM Utrecht
THE NETHERLANDS

Dun Yong
Stormsteeg 9
1021 BD Amsterdam
THE NETHERLANDS

Ren Ren Le
Located next to the CTBU (Chongqing Technologie & Business University,
重庆工商大学) entrance & 五工里 lightrail (wugongli) station
No. 19 Xuefu Ave. Nan'an District
400067 Chongqing
CHINA


Hawaii Supermarket
120 E Valley Boulevard
San Gabriel, CA 91776
USA

San Gabriel Superstore
1635 S San Gabriel Boulevard
San Gabriel, CA 91776
USA

Hong Kong Plaza
989 S Glendora Avenue
West Covina, CA 91790
USA

168 Market
1421 E Valley Boulevard
Alhambra, CA 91801
USA

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten